Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Photo Coaster Tiles

I found a tutorial for Photo Tile Coasters and decided I had to make some myself. I decided to use some of our wedding photos because I love, Love, LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!

Here is what you will need for this easy-peasy-lemon squeezy projects!

4.25 inch White Porcelain Tiles ( I purchased mine at Lowe's and at GoodWill. I got 10 tiles for under $5)
Mod Podge - I used the Gloss Finish
Mod Podge Acrylic Spray
Foam Brush (you can use a regular bristle brush, but I recommend foam, it goes on easier and no brush hairs in your coaster)
Felt
Scissors
Hot Glue Gun & Hot Glue
Pictures
Photo Trimmer (Not necessary, but if you have one, it definitely makes trimming the picture easier)
Wax paper

Step 1: Gather your supplies


 Step 2: Trim your photo down to a 4x4 square picture
***I highly recommend covering your work surface when using Mod Podge. I use either wax paper (Mod Podge doesn't stick to it) or a plastic table cover works as well.

Step 3: Cover the entire front of the tile with Mod Podge using the foam brush. Give it a good coat, but avoid clumps.

Step 4: Carefully set the photo onto the tile. Try your best to center it on the tile.


Step 5: Cover the entire photo with Mod Podge. As you are covering it with glue, the picture may move around a pig. Just be sure that when you are finished putting the Mod Podge on you have it exactly where you want it. As you can see it will look milky, but the Mod Podge will dry clear. There will be a few "lines" in the dried Mod Podge, so try your best to get it as smooth as possible. 

Step 6: Let it dry. I usually let it dry over an evening.

Step 7: Put another coat of Modge Podge on top, I like to be extra sure it is seal well, especially since I'll be using the coasters and I don't want the pictures to become damaged or distorted. You can skip the second coat if you would like to. Let dry. 

Step 8: Put a light spraying of the Mod Podge Acrylic Spray on top - this will further help to keep it "water resistant."

Step 9: Cut a 4x4 piece of felt to use on the back of the tile 

I used a permanent marker to score out the lines I needed to cut on. A pen wouldn't work.

Step 9.5: Cut out the felt square

Step 10: Glue felt square onto the back of the tile. Be sure to use plenty of glue. I ran glue down all the edges, and then made and "x" across the center. See picture below.


This just shows that the felt does not add much thickness to the coaster. But it will protect the surfaces you set them on. 


And viola, your coaster is finished and ready to be used for you to set your favorite drink down on while you work on your crafts!


Enjoy your favorite drink while you take in your imperfect slice of life!


No comments:

Post a Comment