Monday, June 26, 2017

A Whirlwind Year

I'll start by breaking this blog's silence.

I was so very concerned with being the best teacher I could be, that I focused every ounce of energy my body had on my students, my classroom, and my teaching.

But the year has ended, and I am back to "normal" a more balanced life. Keeping up with our home, my family and friends, two courses for certificate renewal, crafting, and this.

My goal for next school year is to have balance through all aspects of my life: home, work, and play. So I am beginning by practicing it this summer.

But, alas, I will sum up my first year of teaching, in a post.

Let me take you back to August 17, 2016. I was headed to the west side of the state to visit a dear college friend when I received a phone call from my mom. She had just learned that a teacher had left her school district to take a position at another school. Now mind you, I've been wanting to teach there ever since I graduated. So I made plans to get my resume, application, and necessary paperwork around as soon as I returned home. So August 22nd, I turned everything in, and hoped for the best. On September 14th, I interviewed, and on the 21st, I met with the superintendent and learned that I had been selected to take over the kindergarten classroom. So on October 10th, I attended the school board meeting to wait to hear if they approved my selection. Little did I know about school board meetings, but it one swift motion, I was hired. A kindergarten teacher. And on October 11th, I arrived at school at 6:45, and my career began.

The entire year was pretty much a blur, but it was full of memories.
A field trip to the fire station, an apple orchard, the library, the ice cream shop, and the zoo.
7 seasonal door decorations.
A crash & burn activity involving marshmallows.
A very sneaky elf.
Being 100 years old for a day.
Many birthday celebrations.
The death of mine and my husband's grandfathers.
Some tears.
Some frustrations.
Lots of smiles.
24 wonderful children with hold places in my hearts forever.
Amazing co-workers who now have become dear friends.

I feel so blessed to be teaching children and changing their futures. But they are forever changing my future as well. Each day I became a better teacher for them and because of them.

And because of them, my heart is full.

I couldn't be more blessed to enjoy this imperfect slice of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment