Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Button Christmas Tree Canvas (Step-by-Step Directions)

About a year an a half ago, I made a button tree to hang in my craft room, and it was very fun to create. You can see it here
But, with the Holidays in full swing, I decided that I need to create a Button Christmas Tree to hang in its place.

Button Christmas Tree

view tutorial at imperfectsliceoflife.blogspot.com

To complete this project, you will need:
A canvas (I used an 8x10 canvas I purchased at Hobby Lobby)
Acrylic Paint (white, brown, green and a background color)
Paint Brush
Buttons (lots of green, white, brown, star, & snowflake if desired)
Pencil (to sketch out design)
Hot glue & Hot Glue Gun
Coordinating Ribbon (to create a hanger for the canvas)

I had thede two tubs of buttons I purchased for another project, so I pulled out white, green and brown

Paint used for the background

Brown, green and white paint used to paint designated areas of the cavas

Star Button for top of the tree (purchased at Hobby Lobby)

I purchased this botton assortment from Pat Catan's to give me more green buttons to complete the project

And I found these snowflake buttons at Wal-Mart - perfect to round out the canvas!


First thing to begin the project is paint the canvas.

Once the paint is dry, draw on your tree shape

Then, using a thin brush, carefully outline the tree shape using the green acrylic paint.

Fill in the entire tree shape 


While that is drying, carefully paint the trunk of the tree using the brown acrylic paint

And while that dries, paint the snow, using a thin brush and white paint

Let all paint dry. I let it dry overnight to be sure, I didn't want to smear any of the paint while I was working with the buttons.


Once it is completely dried, start to place the buttons on the canvas.
I started with the trunk because it was the smallest area.

Fill in as tightly as you can with the buttons

Then more onto another area, I chose to move onto the tree.



Once I started working, I thought it would be best to get the points of the tree done, so that way I can a nice clean look. 

Then, I continued to fill in throughout the rest of the tree.

Next, I added the star on top of the tree. What tree is complete without the star?
If you don't want a start atop the tree, skip this step.

And finish off by filling in the snow at the base of the canvas.







And to add to the beauty of the canvas, I added the snowflakes to make it look like a scene outside my window on a wintery day.

After everything was attached, I hot glued a hanger to the back - I used some green ribbon I had left over from a project. 

And viola, you have a beautiful Christmas Tree canvas to decorate your home.


Take time to enjoy the imperfections in your holiday season!

Happy Holidays to you all!






No comments:

Post a Comment