Thursday, December 8, 2016

Christmas Sparkle Vase (Step-by-Step Directions)

I saw these super festive Christmas Vases on Debbie Doo's Blog. I thought it would be perfect for taking as a hostess gift during the holidays! I ended up making one for myself, my mom, and my mother-in-law. They make a super simple, yet elegant Christmas Arrangement. 

Here are the supplies needed to create the vase:

Sparkle Mod Podge - (it's the pink bottle) $6.99 at Hobby Lobby, but I used my 40% coupon, so it was only $4.19
Vase - purchased at the Dollar Tree for $1 (GoodWill & Salvation Army/ Other thrift stores are great places to find vases inexpensively)
Foam Brushes
Kelly Green Rit Dye (Not Pictured) - purchased at Meijer for $3.27
Red Acrylic Paint
Round Sponge Brushes - I had some left over from 4-H projects, but I know I got them at Hobby Lobby


Step 1: Cover the vase with a layer of Sparkle Mod Podge using the foam brush. I went over the vase several times to make sure it was all covered with sparkles.

It is hard to tell when the Mod Podge is wet that there are sparkles in there. But trust me, they are in there!


Step 2: Allow the vase to drive. After an hour and a half, the majority of it was dry. But I allowed it to continue to dry. I didn't want to rush it and do it too early. Patience is a virtue!

After three and a half hours, the Mod Podge appeared to be dry, and I could see the sparkles on the vase. But I still waited a little while longer to move onto the next step!
The vase will now have some texture. This gives the Rit dye something to adhere to. 


I chose to use the Kelly Green color dye. The tutorial suggest using Apple Green, but I wasn't a huge fan of that color. It's all in your opinion, tho!



Step 3: Lightly (and carefully paint the Rit dye on the vase). And don't get it on you!
I originally used a regular paint brush, but when I did another one, I found that the foam brush made it much easier!

It will start to look really dark, but continue painting an even layer on the vase. 


After I let the vases dry, I cam back and was very sad:( There were lines all over from where the dye had run. So I thought I would take a damp cloth and gently rub the vase with room temperature water. If this happens to you, I would suggest you do the same thing. 

After removing the excess dye, it gave it a much lighter, yet still green tint to the vases.

Step 4: Paint red dots on the vase. I used some Crafter's Acrylic Gloss in Christmas Red that I had left over from some previous projects. I would highly recommend using an acrylic paint, this type of paint covers so wonderfully!


Polka Dotting away!

I just went around and polka dotted randomly, just enough to give it some cute sass. 

After all three vases had been painted. 

Step 5: Embellish the Vase: I embellished these vases with some cute red and green chevron rubbon that I got at Hobby Lobby for $1.49 (Christmas stuff was half off Reg. $2.99)
And I tied a Cinnamon Stick into the ribbon to give it a little spice!

Step 6: Add Flowers
I went to the store to see what flowers I could find in red and white that would look cute in the vase. I settled on some red carnations, red Asiatic lilies and white daisies. Just the right amount of color to complete this project!

I also made a different version. I created some paper poinsettias to create a gift card bouquet for my grandparents. I filled the vase with some tinsel filler and attached the paper poinsettias to skewers.



Enjoy this holiday season, and embrace the imperfections in your slice of life!





No comments:

Post a Comment