Monday, December 12, 2016

Joy to the World Christmas Tree Decoupage Canvas (Step-by-Step Directions)

I've said before that Fall is my favorite season (and it is), but I also so love decorating for the Christmas season as well!


So, this summer, when crafting with one of my friends, I was punching circle shapes out of glittered scrap papers to use in our scrapbooking endeavors, and I had a brilliant idea. I would create a Christmas tree with ornaments using glittered scrapbook paper.

It would be perfect. So, it was decided. I would create this most perfect canvas!



Joy to the Word Christmas Tree Decoupage Canvas Tutorial

visit imperfectsliceoflife.blogspot.com to view tutorial

I had purchased severl 11x14 canvases awhile ago for several projects, yet never got around to doing them, so I used one of the for this project.
I purchased a 6x6 mat stack of glittered paper at Pat Catan's for $4.47
I also purchased a 6/10 inch circle punch ( I purchased it at Hobby Lobby for half off - it came in a 3 pack with a small heart and small star shape punch)
I also purchased a 1 inch star punch from Hobby Lobby as well (again half off!)
And I had Gloss Mod Podge left over from other projects.
Colored card stock is never in short supply at my house, so I did not purchase any, as I had plenty to pick from. 

These are the pucnhes I used - these two were the first punches by The Paper Studio I have ever used ( I can't believe I waited so long), because they make scrapbooking and crafting soooo much fun!!!
Since these, I have purchased another 5 punches to use in my endeavors!

To start with, I found a Christmas tree image I liked online and printed it to use for my stencil for creating the tree.

So I traced the tree onto the green paper, and the stump on brown, and cut them out.

Here are the glittered papers I used to create my "ornaments". I select green, red, white, and silver as our Christmas tree is decorated in these colors, and I love it! 

I punched my little heart out while I watched a Hallmark movie on TV, they are my favorite!


Then I broke out the good old fashioned Elmer's glue to glue the tree together. 

And I added the star to the top - no Christmas tree is perfect without the star atop.

A perfectly decorated Christmas Tree!

I was ready to attach it to the canvas..
The only problem was that I had neglected to paint the canvas, so I had to take care of that.

I chose to paint it white. Snow White. I used Apple Barrel's Snow White (purchased at Wal-Mart for $.50)


Once the paint was dry, I was able to get back to work. I Mod Podged the Christmas tree to the canvas.

But, there was an awful lot of white space, so I decided that I'd use the handy-dandy Cricut (quite possibly one of my favorite tools!) to cut some letters to fancify the canvas even more.

But what should it say???
I am a firm believer in the true meaning of the word Christmas.
So what is more perfect than "Joy to the World!"

I used glitter paper, because who doesn't love a little extra glitter at Christmas time?
And I had it cut the letters "Joy to the" at 1.5 inches, and "World!" at 2 inches.


I carefully Mod Podged the letters on, as you can see it spread a little glitter around on the canvas, but you won't hear any complaints from me about that!




Once the Mod Podge had dried, I Hot Glue a perfectly sparkly red and green Chrismat ribbon I picked up at Hobby Lobby as a hanger. And it was ready to be hung on the wall with care!




Take time to appreciate the holiday season, and enjoy your imperfect slice of life!
























No comments:

Post a Comment