Thursday, December 1, 2016

Holiday Yarn Trees (Step-by-Step Directions)

Since we have our own home, I am looking forward to decorating our home for the upcoming holiday seasons! I absolutely love the holidays and cannot wait to spend many holidays in our home, with beautiful decorations. I cam across these adorable Holiday Trees at A Millions Little Things. So I decided these would be wonderful to decorate our home. 
This is the picture I came across on Pinterest; I thought to myself that I could do that!
So I started gathering the supplies I needed:
I decided I wanted to create a "set" using 4 different sized trees.
 15 inch ($5.99 at Hobby Lobby)
12 inch ($4.99 at Hobby Lobby)
9 inch ($3.99 at Hobby Lobby)
6 inch ($4.47 at Hobby Lobby for a 2 pack)
Dark Green Yarn (leftover from other projects)
Light Green Yarn (leftover from other projects)
White Yarn (leftover from other projects) 
Hot Glue Gun & Glue ( I went through a LOT of glue!)
Scissors
Silver Bells (Pack of 8 $2.99 at Meijer in Holiday Crafts)
Pom-Poms (I got several packs on clearance at Hobby Lobby for 30 cents a pack! And I bough a pack of Christmas Tinsel Pom Poms regularly $2.99 at Hobby Lobby, but Christmas items were half off, so I got them for $1.49)

Some of the supplies I used to make these cute little trees

Pom Poms
 Step 1: Use Hot Glue to attach yarn around the entire base of the tree. After that, use glue whenever you feel necessary to anchor yarn to the tree. 


Step 2: Continue around the tree, covering all parts with yarn. You will have to go back over and fill in, creating different depth layers. 

Step 3: Continue all the way up the tree.


Step 4: Attach your tree topper.
I decided to use a bell as the tree topper. be careful you don't accidentally glue the "jingler" to the bell.

Step 5: Glue Pom Poms onto the tree whenever you like. I went through and did one color at a time to try and evenly disperse them. 



Step 5: I would actually recommend doing this first, but I did not have felt at the time, so I had to do it as a final step. Trace the base of the foam tree on the felt. I used brown for the green trees and then white felt for the white tree. Carefully cut out the circles, you will need to use sharp scissors to cut out the felt circles. I was able to purchase the felt for 20 cents a sheet at Pat Catan's.



Step 7: Carefully hot glue the felt circle to the bottom on the foam tree. This will keep the foam from scratching whatever you set them on to display. 

Completed Tree # 1: This is a 9 inch Tree, using light green yarn, with red tinsel Pom Poms, dark green Pom Poms, white Pom Poms and a bell for the topper. 

Tree#2: 15 inch tree wrapped in dark green yarn. I used light green, white & red tinsel Pom Poms and a bell for the topper, 
Tree #3: Wrapped in dark green & light green yarn to give it a different affect. I attached white & red tinsel Pom Poms to this one, and topped it with a large white tinsel Pom Pom. This is a 12 inch tree. 

Left to right:
15 inch, 12 inch, 9 inch, & 6 inch

I can't wait to put these up in our home to decorate for the Christmas Season!

Holiday Yarn Trees complete with felt on the bottom so not to scratch the surface they sit on. If we had a mantle, we would definitely have them on our mantle.
And so now, I will enjoy my imperfect slice of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment